Church Family!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Steven Curtis Chapman Family - Maria


This is a photo of Steven Curtis Chapman and his Daughter, Maria. I didn't know much of the Chapman family, other than his music, until I heard of their tragedy in March of this year. This precious girl you see is now with Jesus due to an accident with a vehicle in her own driveway. It is hard to grasp. Why? How can this happen? The Chapman family had those questions and still do. I am sure you can relate to what I am about to say, we hear news about tragic things that happen to families, and see how they relate to an event in our own lives, which makes us want to pray for them, and move on so we aren't reminded of our own pain that was similar to theirs. Sound familiar? Let me get to the point, there is a blessing in this story of tragedy. 2 1/2 years ago I was on my way home from work. I was in no hurry, in fact, I was coming home earlier than usual and wanted to surprise my wife and children. I drove a small SUV. I came up a long incline and atop of the incline there was another small rise in the road. Along the side of the road were several mailboxes as is usually the case in rural areas. As I approached the rise in the road a small child was in between those mailboxes. He didn't see me and I didn't see him. The child sprinted to get across the busy road toward his home which was several yards away from those mailboxes. My vehicle struck this child, there was instant impact as he didn't see me and I didn't see this child as he stepped into the road. I swerved left into the oncoming lane to attempt to avoid contact but it had already happened. I pulled back into my lane and it took me a few seconds for my mind to grasp what had just happened- It couldn't have been. I will never forget the view as I looked in my rearview mirror to make sure and reality hit hard. I sprinted to the child's side. An ambulance came and helicoptors were above and my mind was numb. I knelt beside and prayed alloud for God to spare this young life. They took him away, assured me of my innocence as they saw how shaken and broken I was. It was unavoidable, and no speeding laws were broken, but lives were broken. I tell you this now, because I have not been able to find a way that I allowed to help me feel free of this burden that I now felt as I learned the next morning that this precious child did not make it to his home in Newnan, Georgia but had made it to his home by Jesus' side. For two and a half years, I have not been able to find myself again. It is like I forgot who I was and had to start over again. This child was only 5 years of age, and I my son was 5 at this time also. We celebrated my son's Birthday that same week after the accident. Where and when will I ever find peace in this? People kept saying, God will use this to bless you one day through this experience, and God chose ME as someone else may not have been able to handle this type of tragic event. Nothing made sense- Until recently. There was a Braves game at Turner Field a few weeks ago. Beth, my wife, wanted to go because Steven Curtis Chapman was playing after the game. So many things almost made this concert not even happen. It was as if something didn't want this to happen, but God had other plans! First, we learned that just getting into the game didn't get you into the concert, so Beth had to go buy tickets for it while we watched the game. After the game, the band got set up, the sun went down, and as the band was tuning up and announcements being made, as HUGE storm came in. Lightening, heavy rain and 70 mile per hour winds blew. Several people left, but we hung out. I was there for the game, and wanted to go, but Beth said stay. So, being a good husband, I obeyed my wife's orders. The lightening stopped, the rain stopped, the wind stopped, and a beautiful sky appeared. John Smoltz came out to pray, and Steven Curtis Chapman stepped up by himself with just a microphone, a stool, his guitar, and his bible. I felt like something is going on here! He opened his heart with wounds still fresh from his loss of Maria who was adopted from China. He played some songs and we had church right there at Turner Field. The things he said about how he looks at what happend to his 5 year old daughter, and he was able to explain things in a way that only God could have given him the ability to do. It was meant for me to be there, and I came for the game and wanted to leave. Wow, what a mistake that would have been. God made that storm so strong that we had no choice but TO stay or walk and drive in dangerous weather with my entire family. There are other people who were there by God's design, I am sure, but I am certain that he wanted me there with my family. I left there with the best feeling that I have felt in over 2 years! Steven reminded us "Knuckle-headed" moms and dads that we need to cherish the time we have with our special children, because as his song "Cinderella" says, if the clock strikes midnight, they can be gone. Do they, the Chapmans struggle with this today? Of Course they do. They admit that. Do I still struggle with my experience, of course I do. BUT, with a peace that was not there before that God has provided us. I wanted to share this with you and it is the FIRST time that I have actually put into words any aspect of this event in my life. Please pray for the families that have lost their children who don't have a relationship with God and don't know of the peace that only He can bring in the darkest hours of our lives. God bless and keep you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your courage in sharing is awesome. You cannot imagine what your openness & transparency says about your willingness to allow a tragedy in your life to minister & speak to others. And, that exactly what God does- He uses our brokenness to speak to others. Hearing how someone close to us struggles and hurts—well, it made me stop and do a reality check. Is my own life really as bad as I think it is? Or am I just falling for Satan's deceptions and trickery, in that he blinds me to the MANY WONDERFUL blessings that God has surrounded me with?
I cannot pretend to imagine what you have gone through and continue to go through each day... but know that God has His arms wrapped around you and is embracing you each and every moment. Also take comfort in knowing that your "No Name" family is here to support you. After all, that is what we have said we want to be about- a refuge for all of US who are broken and hurting- regardless of where that brokenness & hurt comes from. We are a FAMILY, and we all definitely need each other. We need to be surrounded by a loving, caring, supportive community. Not that will enable us to continue in our despair, but that will hold us up and spur us on toward healing and growth and a closeness to God our Father like we’ve never experienced before.
God bless you for your courage to share your heart. God keep you from Satan’s lies. God help us as your family to be available to you. We love you, Brother.

Matt Freeman (Host) said...

Thank you so much for your post! For such a very long time, I didn't see the value in sharing that experience with people. When I saw Steven Curtis Chapman, only months after his loss, share with all of us at Turner Field who were complete strangers- it made me see that God CAN use something as horrible as that for His glory. One example of how people can be reached with God's love in this is exactly what you said in your post- about how coming to realize that, hey, things aren't so bad in MY life, I just thought they were! Satan definately can blind you to what your blessings are and that makes us feel unblessed. Until something occurs that makes us realize again that God is in control, and that is the ultimate blessing.

One thing that he said at his concert is that even as strong as his faith is, he is human just like everyone else. He said that he had to remind himself of a song that he wrote a long time ago and is just now realizing its true meaning for his writing it- God is God, and I am not... I tried every thing available to me to use to suppress the sadness and pain. I still find myself doing that. But now, I can remind myself that God is God! He is the only one that can heal my pain- and I CANNOT, so I need to have a reality check and think about what I am putting my faith in! Him, or something else? I am human so I try to deal with it myself just like anyone would. It helps to have someone say- Hey, God is God and YOU are not...

We love ya'll too.

Have a great day today!
Matt and Beth

Angie said...

Matt I am so glad that you have written this down and actually gotten it out..where it needs to be. Yes, what happened to the Chapmans and what happened to you is awful, frankly I can't imagine the horror. However I do know that it is only by the love and grace of God that they have made it this far and that is what will get you through to. I am a firm believer that God allows things to happen to people so that they can be a witness and minister to others down the road who experience the same thing. As hard as this road has been for you and your family, your testimony will help someone one day...I just know it! Hold tight to Him, His word and His truths and He will carry you. Praise Him even in the storm because it is only He who can bring you blue skies again. I love you.

Unknown said...

Dear Matt,
I have just read your story and I am brokenhearted for you. I understand your feeling when you knelt beside that precious soul and prayed for God to spare his life. I remember so vividly the night of March 20th when I came home from work and found my Amanda lying on the livingroom floor and I, too, cried out to God to spare her life and bring her back to me. It was not in his plan, for she had already been carried by the angels into God's very presence. No matter how hard I prayed, His plan was already accomplished. Since that night, I have seen God use others to minister to me and I have been given the privilege of ministering to others. One evening, in particular, I had just left Chad Clifton's "viewing" where he had been laid in the exact spot in the funeral home where Amanda was. By the time I got out to my car, I was sobbing uncontrollably, but as I sat there someone drove up beside me and got out of her car and came over to me. She held me in her arms and stayed with me until I was able to stop crying. That person was your wife, Beth. God put her there just at the time that I needed her and I will never forget her immediate comfort and strength and love. Thank you for being there for me and thank you for also sharing your story. You are truly a brave man and may God richly bless you, Matt.
Remember, God is Love!
Judy